Let’s get down and pickle some Salsa Base: No-Knife Needed. When the tomatoes are singing on the vine, we’ll mix them with the starter for a fresh and uniquely fermented salsa. This is the definition of Easy-Peasy with pre-cut vegetables available at most supermarkets!
Video demonstration at the bottom of this page.
Prep Time: 15 mins
Jar Size: 1 quart/.9L
- Total of 1 lb of pre-cut:
- Tube of Chili Pepper Seasoning (in produce dept)
- 1 tsp Coriander seeds
- 1 tsp Oregano
- Brine: 2 cups spring water + 1 TBS. Celtic Sea Salt® or other premium brand
- Place chopped veggies, coriander, oregano in bowl
- Add entire tube of Chili Pepper seasoning
- Stir to blend
- Load into a clean 1 quart wide mouth jar, tamping down lightly until 2 inches from jar lip.
- Make brine by dissolving salt in water (TIP: pour room temperature water & salt into another jar, secure lid and shake vigorously).
- Pour brine over vegetables; gently wiggle jar to release all air bubbles. Continue filling until approximately ½ inch below the lip of the jar.
- Press brine overflow cup into jar until just level with jar rim. (TIP: you may want to do this with jar in your sink as some brine should spill over).
- Allow cup to float and clean off veggie/seasoning debris from jar rim to ensure good seal.
- Twist on Perfect Pickler® lid until just hand snug.
- Pour tap water into airlock to the max line and gently twist into lid.
- Place in cool location (68-74 degrees) and wait patiently for 4 days!
Combine a half cup of salsa base with 2 cups finely diced tomatoes. Chop and add fresh cilantro and add a good squeeze of fresh lime juice. Adjust heat with hot sauce if desired.