Kimchi bokkeumbap literally translates as Kimchi Fried Rice. This can be two-ingredient simple, but also loves a few extras if you have the time. This Meal-Maker Recipe is built on our Everyday Kimchi fermentation recipe.
Adapted, Original by Jean-Georges Vongerichten, The Kimchi Chronicles
Prep time: 30 mins
Serving Size: 4
- 2 TBS. toasted sesame oil
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- pinch of coarse salt
- 2 cups kimchi (the older the better), coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup kimchi brine
- 4 cups day-old cooked rice at room temperature
- Garnish options: minced scallion or chives, ground sesame seeds, or a fried egg (over easy to create runny yolks).
- Main course meal options: 1/4 - 1/2 pound of chicken, pork, bacon, seafood, tofu that is chopped and sautéed with the onion
- Sauté the onion with salt in the oil for a few minutes to soften
- Add the kimchi and juice and cook another minute
- Add the rice, meat (if using) and mix well, cook about 5 minutes
- Garnish as desired and serve!