Turn garden fresh veggies into a quick base for pasta and garden salads. Toss our Probiotic Pickled Antipasto with dressed lettuce or add pasta with a splash of oil to make a main course dish.
Jar Size: 2 quarts
Plan on 2 lbs. total for your mix of vegetables.
- 12 oz. green tomatoes (or tomatillos - member of tomato family, find in ethnic or larger supermarkets), chopped
- 12 oz. snap peas, trimmed, steamed 3 minutes
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 TBS. garlic, sliced
- 1 cup olives, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup banana peppers, ¼ inch thick rounds
- ½ cup dried tomatoes, thin strips (or dried sweet peppers)
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning (or other spice combo of choice)
- Brine: 4 cups spring water + 2 Tbsp. Celtic Sea Salt® or other premium brand
- Soak and trim green beans. Steam for 3 minutes and then shock with cold water.
- Prep remaining veggies and toss in large bowl with beans.
- Add spices to bottom of clean 2 quart wide mouth canning jar.
- Load veggies, tamping lightly as you add. Fill up to 2 inches from lip of jar.
- Make brine by dissolving salt in water (TIP: put room temperature water & salt into another jar, secure lid and shake vigorously).
- Pour brine over vegetables; gently wiggle jar to release all air bubbles. Continue filling until approximately ½ inch below the lip of the jar.
- Press brine overflow cup into jar until just level with jar rim. (TIP: you may want to do this with jar in your sink as some brine should spill over).
- Allow cup to float as you clean off veggie/seasoning debris from jar rim to ensure good seal.
- Twist on Perfect Pickler® lid until just hand snug.
- Pour tap water into airlock to the max line and gently twist into lid.
- Place in cool location (68-74 degrees) and wait patiently for 4 days!
- Drizzle with olive oil and toss with pasta for a delicious one-dish meal. You can also add capers, a squeeze of lemon juice and some chopped Mediterranean herbs.
- Instead of pasta, use as a topper for cooked brown rice or other grain.
- Italian Vinaigrette Salad Dressing: mix brine with good olive oil, a squeeze of lemon juice and ground pepper.