This is the basic Everyday Kimchi recipe and a good place to start in your kimchi quest. While this recipe takes more than 15 minutes, it is still an easy recipe to make and a great place to start!
Prep Time: 30 mins Jar Size: 2 quarts
- 1 ½ lbs Napa cabbage
- ½ lb daikon radish (or mix of daikon and carrot)
- 3 large scallions
- 2 TBS. fresh garlic, minced
- 2 TBS. fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 ½ - 3 TBS (to taste) Korean chili flakes. Purchase Korean chile flakes (gochugaru) on our website or local Asian market. You can adjust seasoning after ferment if more heat desired.
- Kimchi Chile Flakes
- Brine: 4 cups spring water + 2 Tbsp. Celtic Sea Salt® or other premium brand
- Optional: After fermentation is complete, add 1 tsp. of honey, agave nectar or sugar and 1 tsp of fish sauce
- Half cabbage length-wise, remove root section, cut into one inch squares
- Peel and julienne daikon (and carrot if using)
- Trim and cut scallions into thin, slanted slices
- Place veggies, garlic, ginger, chile flakes in a large bowl; toss well to combine.
- Pack a 2 quart jar with the mixed veggies, packing firmly along the way up to 2-inches from the jar lip.
- Make brine by dissolving salt in water (HINT: fast method is put room temperature water and salt into another jar, secure lid and shake vigorously)
- Pour brine over vegetables; gently wiggle jar to release all air bubbles. Continue filling until just below the lip of the jar.
- Clean off any veggie or seasoning debris from jar rim to ensure good seal.
- Press brine overflow cup into jar and seal with Perfect Pickler® lid. (HINT: you may want to do this with jar in your sink as some brine should spill over)
- Pour tap water into airlock to the max line and gently twist into lid.
- Place in cool location (74 degrees) and wait patiently for 4 days!
- For a Tex-Mex version, substitute your favorite chile blend for the Korean chile flakes. When fermentation is complete, adjust heat as desired.
Meal-Maker Recipes - Use your Everyday Kimchi to create the following delicious dishes!