We’ll keep things fresh and verdant by fermenting: snow peas, sugar snap peas, asparagus, and spring onions. Then finish at the table with chopped herbs, olives, tossed with a good finish of oil, and crowned with shaved hard cheese. It’s an appetizer, but it can be fancied when tossed with pasta. Antipasto Primavera is a recipe flush with spring!
Plan on about 2 lbs. of vegetables Vary the amount and variety to please your palate. Test the sugar snap peas by biting through - if stringy, omit and use just snow peas.
- 12 oz. asparagus, tough bottoms snapped off, bite size pieces
- 1-¼ cup scallion or spring onion (2-3), thin, angled slices
- 1-¼ cup celery (2 ribs), thin slices
- 8 oz. sugar snap peas, small only, strings removed
- 8 oz. snow peas, strings removed, halve larger pods
- 1 TBS. lemon zest
- Brine: 4 cups spring water + 2 Tbsp. Celtic Sea Salt® or other premium brand
- Seasoning options - try a single herb or combination of: tarragon, thyme, and/or chives. For a spice blend try 1 TBS. of herbes de Provence. Another good choice is 2 TBS. of Coastal Blend from The Spice & Tea Exchange.
- Soak and drain the veggies. Combine all in a bowl and mix in the herbs of your choice.
- Load a clean 2 quart wide mouth canning jar, tamping lightly as you go until 2 inches from the lip of the jar.
- Make brine by dissolving salt in water (TIP: put room temperature water & salt into another jar, secure lid and shake vigorously).
- Pour brine over vegetables; gently wiggle jar to release all air bubbles. Continue filling until approximately ½ inch below the lip of the jar.
- Press brine overflow cup into jar until just level with jar rim. (TIP: you may want to do this with jar in your sink as some brine should spill over).
- Allow cup to float as you clean off veggie/seasoning debris from jar rim to ensure good seal.
- Twist on Perfect Pickler® lid until just hand snug.
- Pour tap water into airlock to the max line and gently twist into lid.
- Place in cool location (68-74 degrees) and wait patiently for 4 days!
- Appetizer: splash with a light nut or vegetable oil, top with shaved cheese, like pecorino, parmesan, or crumbled feta.
- Green Salad: Toss with greens and a “green goddess” style dressing.
- Pasta Salad: Toss with some warm or chilled pasta shells and grated cheese and a creamy salad dressing.